Indulgence and Temperance
When does too much of a good thing make it bad?
"(Temperance) meant not abstaining, but going the right length and no further. One great piece of mischief has been done by the modern restriction of the word Temperance to the question of drink. It helps people to forget that you can be just as intemperate about lots of other things.
A man who makes his golf or his motor-bicycle the centre of his life, or a woman who devotes all her thoughts to clothes or bridge or her dig, is being just as 'intemperate' as someone who gets drunk every evening.
Of course, it does not show on the outside so easily: bridge-mania or golf-mania do not make you fall down in the middle of the road.
But God is not deceived by externals."
While I am glad to announce that I'm not an Alcoholic, I know that I'm a Comicholic and TV-holic. But one thing I'm definitely not is a Workaholic, right?
It's a good thing to like your job. But while I thank God for giving me a good job which I enjoy (even though the hours are long), sometimes, I wish that He'd give me a less fun job, so it wouldn't be so difficult putting Him first place.
Don't get me wrong, God's still first place, I'd still prefer going to church and cell than going to work.
But, if I absolutely HAD to go to work instead of going to church, it doesn't seem so bad now, since work's not all that bad these days.
Sigh.
Why are there so many "weaknesses" in me for Satan to attack? Please pray that I can 'tahan' these temptations, and that I can continue to put Him first.
When does too much of a good thing make it bad?
"(Temperance) meant not abstaining, but going the right length and no further. One great piece of mischief has been done by the modern restriction of the word Temperance to the question of drink. It helps people to forget that you can be just as intemperate about lots of other things.
A man who makes his golf or his motor-bicycle the centre of his life, or a woman who devotes all her thoughts to clothes or bridge or her dig, is being just as 'intemperate' as someone who gets drunk every evening.
Of course, it does not show on the outside so easily: bridge-mania or golf-mania do not make you fall down in the middle of the road.
But God is not deceived by externals."
While I am glad to announce that I'm not an Alcoholic, I know that I'm a Comicholic and TV-holic. But one thing I'm definitely not is a Workaholic, right?
It's a good thing to like your job. But while I thank God for giving me a good job which I enjoy (even though the hours are long), sometimes, I wish that He'd give me a less fun job, so it wouldn't be so difficult putting Him first place.
Don't get me wrong, God's still first place, I'd still prefer going to church and cell than going to work.
But, if I absolutely HAD to go to work instead of going to church, it doesn't seem so bad now, since work's not all that bad these days.
Sigh.
Why are there so many "weaknesses" in me for Satan to attack? Please pray that I can 'tahan' these temptations, and that I can continue to put Him first.

3 Comments:
Hey Elysa! You finally found some time to blog. Well, my science tuition teacher recently shared with me: If "cloning"had existed in the past, then there'll be protests made by various religions, disagreeing the fact that humans were created like that. Sometimes, I wonder if God really exists... What do you think? I am puzzled.
Venus:
I used to really wonder about whether God existed too. I mean, you can't see Him, and sometimes even when you pray to Him and feel "something", it may just be you "psychoing" yourself, right?
But God is very real. Just try talking to Him. It feels stupid at first, but keep seeking Him out, and you'll find Him.
About the cloning thing, I don't really get your question. Are you asking me whether God cloned humans?
Okay... Let me clarify, I have faith in God.
However, a fact remains a fact. My Science Tuition Teacher told me that if amino acids reacts with something else (which I can't remember), and if this experiment succeeds, then it will probably proof all the religions' beliefs wrong. Because different religions believe in different Gods.
I hope that you'll understand...
Post a Comment
<< Home